Going Carbon Negative
Plain and simple, it's not easy. We don't want this to be another fad, or marketing catchphrase. Yet, upon reflecting on how we live, our lifestyles, our consumption, our interactions with each other, it almost feels like an impossible task.
As coffee manufacturers, part of the value cycle (and therefore carbon lifecycle) rests on our shoulders. So while we cannot (yet) directly eliminate our carbon footprint, we are overcompensating through carbon offset projects to bring our footprint into the negative. Each year, we will be (over) investing in these projects after we go through our lengthy and detailed emissions calculations on each of our product lines (and we have quite a few!). It's not a calculation for calculation's sake. For us, it's an internal audit, and a way to reflect on what we can do better.
Below are projects we invested in to offset our 2020 emissions:
- Clean cooking stoves and water purification project in Kenya - 22.22 tonnes @ $33/tn*
- Grow Clean Air project, planting of native trees in Canada (80 trees) - 13.33 tonnes @ $36/tn*
- (Average cost to offset is $22.50)
- During our internal audit, we discovered there's no direct emissions calculations for coffee packaging. We also learned that compostable materials are not composted commercially (by most municipalities). So our approach for 2021 with our new packaging is the concept of mono-material - and not just any mono-material, but one that is fully recyclable and can be managed by current recycling streams.
- There is not (yet) a third party certification or audit body that conducts emissions or footprint verification for companies. Though with growing awareness, we hope it can reach the level of guidance and organisation of programs like HACCP and Organic certifications (which we follow).
Update to our Subscription programs in 2021
To our current and future subscribers, thank you for your support in moving specialty coffee forward! The past year has been difficult for everyone, and we are thankful for the love and care that we’ve received. In light of these challenges, we needed to make some changes to our subscriptions so that we can continue to bring you amazing coffee and properly support the value chain. Thank you again to this special community for helping us do what we love!
Below are some changes that will take effect January 2021:
- There will be 2 (two) subscription offerings: Roastery Select and Core Coffees
(Drip and Espresso will essentially merge into Core Coffees; all our core coffees are intended as both filter and espresso)
- Roastery Select will remain a curated coffee program (we select the coffees each month)
- Core Coffees is a program where you select 2 out of our 4 core coffees (the same selected two will be shipped each month)
- Roastery Select will be: $45 (monthly plan), $130 (3-month prepay), $240 (6-month prepay)
- Core Coffee will be: $40 (monthly plan), $112 (3-month prepay), $210 (6-month prepay)
- Current and active subscribers will keep current (grandfathered) prices
Sign up before December 31, 2020:
- December is the last month to sign up on current prices. Lock in the current price by signing up before December 31, 2020.
- Current subscribers will continue on the current prices - you will have grandfathered pricing, as long as renewals remain active
(please note: cancelled subs that are renewed on or after Jan 1st, 2021 are considered new, and therefore will be on the new pricing structure).
- All NEW subs starting in Jan 2021 will be in the new price/structure
- Should you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com